Friday, May 23, 2014

Working Mom Survivial Guide: The Good Enough Mom




The term "good enough mom" was coined by Dr. D. W. Winnicott, a british pediatrician, sociologist, and psychoanalyst. Basically its the anti "supermom and slacker mom".  He states "the key role of the good enough  mother is to adapt to her baby, which gives him a sense of control and the comfort of being connected."


The term continues on by thinking most moms already have everything that their kids need inside themselves and uses those mom instincts in order to take care of their child.  Good enough  moms "use their own best judgment, is available to their child, learns from their mistakes, and loves their child."


Seems pretty simple right? If we could all be able to keep our expectations realistic and not sweat the small stuff then you too could be just the right kind of mom your child needs. 


Choosing your kids over house work will not cause the collapse of an empire but may make some pretty stellar memories for your child.  No one is perfect but we all are good enough.


I can tell you the following:
My dishes are rarely done every day
I have dust in my house
I have projects half finished
Scrapbooks/photo albums that need completed
Clutter on the counter top
Toys scattered everywhere


And you know what? If you don't like it then don't come over :-)




A quote from the survival guide states "  Remember that your children grow up fast. Fifty years from now it won't matter how much money you had or how clean your houses was, but your children will remember you for the kind of person you were and for how deeply you loved your family."







5 comments:

  1. I know most of the time I wonder if I am screwing it all up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think more often than not we all wonder if we are screwing up! It's a mom thing;) most of the time we aren't though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that "choosing your kids over your housework" that is totally me.

    Michelle F.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kid always gets chosen over housework! And I wouldn't have it any other way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't say that I choose my kid over house work since we both have a touch of ocd and if things get out of place its like the world is coming to an end at my house. I do however incorporate my child into house work. Shoot I even bought my kid a dust buster for Christmas and he loved it. I know there are areas that I do slack in but I don't think too much about it as long as my kid is happy.

    ReplyDelete