Saturday, May 17, 2014

Working outside the home

I am sick of others looking down upon those of us that have to work and put our children in daycare. Would I love to have been able to stay home with my daughter? Yes. Would I like to at least be able to work from home? Yes. Would I like her to be able to ride a bus to and from school from our neighborhood instead of the before and after school care? Yes. Would I like my kiddo to have a play date with yours on this day off of school? Yes.

However for some people, like myself, this just is not possible. For many reasons like my actual work schedule does not mesh with the bus schedule we cannot do this.  I really like when people tell me "you'd save so much money if you just stayed home". No, no I wouldn't because there are things called student loans that need paid.

Don't get me wrong I think it's great some people get to be stay at home parents. I wish I was one of them. Raising kids is the hardest, most rewarding job you will ever have. I just wish women supported each other more.

So alas I struggle with the guilt that is thrust upon me by the main stream media that in order to be a great Mom I need to stay home, make beautiful creative meals and constantly entertain my child with activities that not only stimulate her but teach her.

What happened to just letting kids be kids?

What are your thoughts?












2 comments:

  1. Love this! I desperately want to be a SAHM but when we crunch the numbers, it's not possible. I am lucky to have a flexible schedule but I would still much rather be homee with my son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm there 100% I look at all the creative people selling things on Etsy and think why can't that be me? :-)

    ReplyDelete